THE CRYSTAL CUP - Chapter Fifty Three


THE CRISTAL CUP

Chapter Fifty Three


Ricardo parked his articulated car at the end of the line, on Rua José Joaquim Gonçalves... another complete journey. He got out of the vehicle and, while his companion went to the inspector to hand over the trip report, he went to the snack bar near the bus stop. He ordered lunch, and while waiting for his dish to be prepared he sat at one of the tables, sipping a Coca Cola and watching the movement. Soon his plate arrived... rice, beans, a steak, an egg and a salad. He tried to attack the food and soon his plate was clean. He had a cup of coffee, sat for a while... he got up and went towards the square where the cars were parked. He asked his partner how much time they had left, he was informed that his car wouldn't leave for about forty minutes. He got into the car, laid down on one of the seats and took the opportunity to take a nap.

The clock showed eight at night when Ricardo pointed his pleading at the garage door. It was his new scale car. It wasn't his favorite... he preferred to work with the stumps, but most of the company's lines had articulated ones. Good thing his letter was letter "E", so he could take on any vehicle. The valet on duty at the garage took over the vehicle, and the young man was able to close his file, thus ending his workday. It was just after eight-thirty. Ricardo was a little thoughtful, not knowing exactly what he would do. After pondering it a bit, he came to the conclusion that the best thing to do was to go home and get some rest... and he did. Another hour or so and there he was, lounging on the couch. The sound of the bell made him jump from his perch, after all, he wasn't expecting anyone to visit...

- Mister Mario?!

- Good night, Ricardo... we need to talk...

- What happened, Mario?

- That's what I'd like to know...

- I didn't understand...

- Boy, I'll be straight... you've been chasing Letícia...

- Me?... you're going crazy...

- I am? In one week you've already met her four times...

- Coincidence, Mario....coincidence!

- Including keeping duty in the square in front of my house?

Richard was quiet. Yes, it was true that he had scored in front of his father-in-law's house. But he hoped no one noticed him... only they did! The worst thing is that this unwanted shift didn't bear any fruit... on the days he stayed in front of his father-in-law's house, she didn't show up there... and when she was on guard duty at her sister-in-law's house, she wasn't successful either. ...

- Mario, I admit that I was in front of your house these days... but it was by pure chance...

-Three days in a row? What the hell is this?

- Well, I was looking for a job... by chance the administration of the company where I work is close to your house... and the three days in question were the days I had to go to the office...

It was a lie, but the father-in-law had no way of knowing... after all, there are some offices close to his house... so, although it wasn't real, he could pretend that he was providing the documentation to enforce his contract...

- Mr Mario, I know my marriage is over. But, damn it... we didn't even talk about it. And I think at least one conversation I deserve....

- Please leave my daughter alone...

- Or else...

- Or else we'll have to talk for real... and I'm sure you won't like that very much... don't push your luck!

- Are you threatening me, Mario? Sorry, but I'm at my house...

- No, boy... I'm not threatening you... I'm just letting you know that Cecília has a family that watches over her... never forget that...

And so Mario leaves his son-in-law's house... Adriano stands still for a few seconds in the middle of the room. Then, in an act of fury, he throws the vase that was on the coffee table against the wall, to vent the anger he is feeling...

- Dona Olga, don't you miss Ricardo?

- I miss it ... but he doesn't come to see us because he doesn't want to ...

- Well, you didn't see him either...

- I gave up... the times I decided to go see him, I never found him at home...

- I know, but now it's different...

- Different, how, girl?

- He's living alone... he might need your support, have you thought about that?

- If so, he would have continued to live with me, don't you think?

- Maybe... suddenly, for him, here was a place that suffocated him... that could be it...

- Look, Rose... my son never liked living with me. As I told you, when he thought he could take care of himself, he disappeared into the world. You have no idea how much I've been after this boy...

- I understand, Ms. Olga.... but he is your son and he is disoriented, at the moment... suddenly...

- If you think so, why not go back to live with him?

- First, why am I not the person he wants by his side...

- Of course, he can't manipulate you.

- He's not manipulative...

- Girl, I know the son I have... and I'll tell you something, with a lot of pain in my heart... that one isn't worth a flat penny...

- Dona Olga....

- And am I lying? Did he try or not to assault you when you lived together?

-He tried, but...

- That's it... did you know that, the last time I looked for him, he threatened to beat me if I insisted on bringing him home?

- No... you didn't tell me about that...

- Yeah... do you understand now why I let him lead his life the way he wants?

- Wow... and I went to board this leaky canoe...

- Yeah... I'm glad you and Cecilia jumped out of the boat before it sank....

- Yeah, but he embodied her...

- I hope she takes care of herself... As I told you, Ricardo is unreliable...

After hearing those words, Roseli even felt sorry for the one who had once been her rival in love and was grateful in her heart for not being her ex's favorite... she was much better off alone, for sure...

- One more thing, Rose... since he recovered from the accident and decided to go back to that house... how many times did he come to see his daughter?

Roseli thought a little before answering...

- None... but it must be because...

- Because he lost interest in you guys... I know it's hard to hear that, but that's the truth... he doesn't care about you or your daughter anymore...

- But he was so attached to her...

- So you can see... I think that, deep down, he blames you two for their separation...

- But...

- I know, that doesn't make any sense... but be sure he got away from the little one for that...

Roseli was silent for a few moments, thinking about what her daughter's grandmother had said. And she came to the conclusion that the old lady was right... Ricardo blamed her and her daughter for the failure of their marriage... forgetting that it was he, not she, who forced the relationship to begin...

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

QUEM SOMOS NÓS?

23 - A NEW DIRECTION

SELF-ACCEPTANCE