WALKÜREN - THE THREE MARIES Chapter Forty-Two


 WALKÜREN - THE THREE MARIES

Chapter Forty-Two


- The night is already late, and nothing from Juvêncio and Torquato!

- Calm down, Santana... you know that the Deputy is an old monkey... he knows how to take care of himself.

- Yes, I know.... but today is a full moon... and you also saw the signs in the sky...

- Stop nonsense, man... it's been a while since we've had any new cases....

- I hope you're right...

- Of course I am... so much so that, if everything continues at this pace, in a few days I'll be traveling...

- Travel where?

- I'm thinking about going to the City of Santos... visiting Porto...

- And why are you going to the port, man of God?

- You know, Santana... my biggest desire is to acquire one of those motor vehicles...

- One what?

- Let's say it's a horseless cart...

Santana looked at Carneiro in amazement... the firmness in the doctor's gaze showed that he was serious... but where would the doctor buy a car?

- There is a company in Santos that imports these vehicles... and I decided to buy one....

- And where are you going to carry that?

- Huh... to the same places I go with my team of horses. The difference is that now I won't have to clean up the mess they make...

- Okay... the horse, to do its job, just needs forage... and that machine?

- She uses fuel, Santana.

- I know. But what kind of fuel? And where are you going to buy this... fuel?

Carneiro was silent for a moment... he hadn't thought about that. You really forgot to inform yourself what type of fuel the vehicle used.

- I think it's kerosene...

- Are you going to take Marieta with you?

- Oh, heavens, no... in fact this will be a trial by fire for her... on those days when I will be absent, she will be responsible for serving the people. So I'll find out if she's ready to replace me...

- But shouldn't she go to college so she can practice?

- Santana, what world do you live in? Do you really think that a newly graduated person would want to stay here at the end of the world?

- Our city is very good....

- I know it is... like most cities in the interior... but we have very few trained doctors in our country... and these, my friend... prefer to stay in the big centers, which are more prestigious... and money!

- In that case, why did you end up here then?

- Heart problems...

- Wow... I didn't know... so you...

-No, no... not that kind of problem... I was involved with a lady... her father found out and warned that when he found me, I would talk to her revolver... I got out, and I ended up here...

- Ah, you old rascal...

- When this happened I was still young...

- And why did you end up staying?

- Good food, pleasant people, a pleasant city... did I answer your question?

- Yes, of course... aren't you hungry? I think we'd better try to fill our belly, because I suspect we'll have a lot of work tomorrow...

- You're really worried... come on, Santana...

- And your assistant?

- Oh, she's already gone... today it was calm, there was no reason to make the girl stay here late...

- You did well...

- So let's go...

And the two friends took to the street, after Santana locked the police station. As there were no prisoners in their cells, there was no need for anyone to be on duty that night. Although, besides him and Torquato, the city no longer had any law enforcement representatives on duty...

Matilde was passing by the pension, heading towards her house, when she decided to enter it. Suddenly she felt like having dinner there... no big deal. Every now and then she liked to do this. Upon entering, she saw the deputy and Doctor Carneiro at one of the tables. She approached them.

-Good evening, Doctor Santana... good evening, Doctor Carneiro...

- Good evening, teacher... what good winds bring you here?

- First, the delicious smell of the food they serve here....

- And then?...

- There was no "later" until I saw you, Doctor Santana... but now...

- What happened, teacher?

- It hasn't happened yet, doctor... but it will definitely happen tonight...

- Will what?

- The beast... will attack tonight!

- And how do you know that?

- Well, Doctor Santana... didn't you notice the signs in the sky?

- Sorry, teacher, but don't you think you're very superstitious?

- Doctor Carneiro... these things have happened before... they follow a pattern!

- Like this?

- Well, Delegate Juvêncio asked me to do some research... and what I discovered made my hair stand on end...

- And what did you discover, woman?!!

- Well, these attacks are periodic... from time to time, they happen...

- Like this?

- From what I could find, these attacks are older than our history here...

- Explain...

- It's from ancient times... the bugres already told of attacks that they suffered from time to time... and before them, the people who preceded them...

- This means...

- That tonight Anhangá will hunt again...

- Anhangá?...

- Yes... that was how the bugres referred to the entity.

- And you believe that... really?

- My friend, dozens of people died... you were unable to resolve the problem... the Federal Delegate has no clue as to what happened... yes, I believe that is what is happening...

- In other words... you believe that forces from beyond are acting in our region...

- And do you have another explanation?

- At the moment, no... I can't think of anything...

- Look, people have no idea what happens in these surroundings...

- And it's better that you remain unaware, Ms. Matilde....

- I know, deputy... if the story of the curse spreads...

- What curse, teacher? Whatever it is, a good load of lead should surely send this... beast... to hell!

- And if that's not the case, delegate? After all, the buggies tried everything to get rid of the beast and couldn't...

The meals arrived and the three started working with the forks and knives. Each one immersed in their world, each one lost in their thoughts. The professor, increasingly worried about the discoveries that her research brought her, Doctor Santana became even more worried about the absence of Juvêncio and his assistant, in addition to the girls who had already been missing for three days, and Doctor Carneiro... well , this was the only one who wasn't that thoughtful. He thought, yes, but in the automobile, this marvel of the Twentieth Century that they had just invented... and that he would bring a copy to the city... his dream would finally come true....

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

QUEM SOMOS NÓS?

23 - A NEW DIRECTION

SELF-ACCEPTANCE